Monday, 27 September 2010

Grandma and Grandpa Visit

Being as lucky as I am, my wonderful grandparents finished a cruise in Rome and decided to stay an extra two nights to visit me. They arrived Thursday afternoon and immediately upon meeting with them we ate all the infamous Tre Scalini! I had rigatoni amatriciana, grandma had due tre scalini (lasagna & tortellini) and grandpa had spaghetti and clams.. delicious meal! Then I took them to the Pantheon and to the Trevi Fountain. Next we stopped at studio and headed back for Piazza Navona. After my class we met up again and walked across the river to see St. Peter's and Castel Sant Angelo all lit up at night! Then finished the night with pizza in Piazza Navona.

Friday we went straight to St. Peter's and got online to enter. Grandma really wanted to climb the to the roof so we waited on a long line only to find out that we had paid to go to the top of the dome and the roof was a small stop along the way! So the three of us climbed all 320 steps from the roof to the top of the dome. It was really tight and pretty scary. The last part was a spiral staircase with a rope hanging down so you could pull yourself up! The view at the top was absolutely amazing though. It was totally worth the struggle to climb to the top. After going back down we stopped at restaurant for lunch right outside the church.. I had lasagna and so did grandma, grandpa has ziti.






After St. Peter's we walked to the subway to get over to the Spanish steps. We walked around there for a few minutes and then got back on the subway to go to the Colosseum. That trip was a little less pleasant as it was rush hour but we made it there nonetheless. We walked around there for a little and then came back to Piazza Navona. After taking a break for a little, they came back to my apartment where we had homemade bruschetta and wine while looking at pictures from all of my trips! It was a really great visit and I had a lot of fun sharing all I know about Rome with people I know!

No comments:

Post a Comment